Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Rock-a-bye Baby

I think I was spoiled as a new mother.

I've been spoiled my entire life, really. As the baby of 3 kids I was always babied a little more than the others and over the years I'm certain it became full-fledged spoil-age.

Then into marriage... my sweet hubby has spoiled me since day one. This was a dangerous habit he started. I find myself having to be reminded that I, in fact, do not have to have flowers once a week in order to be loved... In all actuality he is sticking to our budget now so that is much more loving than bringing home cut flowers which will wilt in a few days. Yeah... definitely spoiled.

After 6 weeks of waking up every 4-5 hours to nurse our newborn, we put our sleepy baby in her crib an entire room away. Much to our surprise and delight she loved it. I would lay her down at 7pm and she wouldn't wake up until a well rested mommy and daddy emerged from their room at 6am. Now, I had thought many times (like most mommas do) 'I have the best baby in the world.' But now I was certain... they would write this child down in history.

I'm now the momma to a 2 year old - no longer a sweet, snuggly, sleepy baby. About a month ago I decided our big girl needed her very own big girl bed. She even picked out her own comforter for her big girl bed. My life has not been the same since. The first night she laid down and slept until 7am when she fell out (oops!). Now, it takes me about 30 minutes to lay her down and then she cries for us at least once a night for us to come lay down with her.

I know most parents are thinking I'm crazy at this point and if she only wakes up once then that is amazing. But I'm tired! I'm used to laying down at 9:30 and sleeping all night without interruption. My body is so unwilling to adjust to having to wake up and comfort a toddler. I told y'all I'm spoiled! So sleepy!

And the hubby and I have been so bad! Most nights we are so tired that we either let her come sleep with us or we go crawl into her tiny twin bed and snuggle with her until we fall back asleep ourselves. We keep saying we need to stop but it's so hard.

Oh, sleepy baby of mine, please remember how you used to love sleep as much as your mommy.

Sincerely,
A very tired, spoiled momma

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback!